The main objective of this module is to give you the foundation knowledge of science and electrical fundamentals to fully understand how and why an electrical system works.
This is essential when considering progression onto the City & Guilds 2391 Testing and Periodic Inspection, Solar PV installation, Contractor short electrical courses and into the lucrative opportunities of commercial electrical installations where a deeper understanding is required.
Why take this course?
This science workshop gives you the foundation knowledge to fully understand how and why electrical systems work. This understanding is essential when considering progression onto City and Guilds 2391 Periodic Inspection and Testing, Solar PV and other contractor short courses.
This theory workshop explains the science of electro technology; why things work? Why circuit breakers work? What do transformer do? what is electricity? From voltage to Ohm’s law; this course includes interesting and essential information for the electrical contractor.
This course package is suitable for anyone who wants to progress beyond basic domestic installer and continue onto the 2391 Inspection and Testing Course and electrical contractor courses where deeper understanding is required.
The course covers the following content;
Fundamentals of electricity:
- Electron theory including atomic elements and free electrons
- Charge and attraction
- Coulomb’s Law
- Conductors, Insulators and Semiconductors
- Electrical symbols and mathematical prefixes.
Simple electrical circuit theory:
- Ohm’s Law
- Using digital multimeters to measure resistance, voltage and current
- Practical workshop including the building a simple electrical circuits calculating the expected value of current and measuring the actual resistance, voltage and current
- DC series circuits, this follows the theory then practical route
- DC parallel circuits, again this follows the theory then practical route reinforcing the use of previously learnt techniques.
- DC series – parallel circuits, following the same pattern as the previous day
- Power, solving power problems using power formulae
- Electromagnetism and electromagnets.
- Introduction to AC, sine waves, single and 3 phase supplies
- AC generation
- Voltage and current, peak, instantaneous and RMS values
- Relationship between line and phase voltage in a 3 phase system
- Transformer theory, calculation and practical.
- Capacitance theory, calculation and practical
- Inductance theory, calculation and practical
- Impedance theory, and calculation of circuit impedance.
|Start Dates:||Please call 0208 507 7288 or email email@example.com for dates|
|Course & Qualification:||Principles of Electro Technology (City & Guilds)|
On completion of the course we follow up with our students on their next step. Our dedicated career advisors go through all the options that are available to the individual candidate for career development. We assess and help to identify further training needs if relevant or assist them to find work. Our next step activities include but are not limited to;
- Help with writing their CV
- Interviewing tips and practice
- Training candidates on how to use electronic media for work search activities
- Referrals and Introductions to partner and associate companies for work trails, apprenticeships and employment
- Identifying and enrolling candidates on relevant courses top further improve employability skills
- Providing free introduction courses to building enterprises and setting up small businesses
- Introducing relevant candidates to partner and associate companies for further enterprise assistance and funding